Friday, July 15, 2011

the strength to battle deadly disease

How blogging beat my cancer: Army of fans gives young woman the strength to battle deadly disease

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 4:06 PM on 14th July 2011
A woman diagnosed with breast cancer just days after her 29th birthday said she was given the strength to beat the disease on the internet.
Emily Holt gained an army of online fans after she bravely decided to share her personal battle with the public, following her diagnosis in August 2008.
Over the last three years Emily has shared her experiences on everything from operations and hair loss to the prospect of new breast implants.
Dear diary: Emily has shared everything from her diagnosis to losing her hair on her blog
Dear diary: Emily has shared everything from her diagnosis to losing her hair on her blog
Her popular blog led to her face appearing on the big screen in Piccadilly Circus after she was selected to front Samsung's campaign to encourage women to talk about breast cancer.
Emily, from Cotesbach, Leicestershire, said: 'Writing the blog was both therapeutic and scary. It forced me to evaluate my mortality whilst trying to remain positive for the future.

'But it was like writing a diary, a diary that could provide hope and information to other young girls battling cancer.

 
'I wrote about everything, from the after effects of chemo to my mastectomy to my breast reconstruction.

'I covered my blog in pictures of positive events I took part in like the Race for Life.

'I wanted younger people to realise they're not invincible and they have to examine themselves. I've had lots of positive feedback from other suffers who say my blog inspired them to keep fighting, that is the best reward.'
Now after enduring medical treatment a mastectomy, months of chemotherapy and radiotherapy Emily has even decided to start her own sewing business.
'After battling with breast cancer I am now trying living life to the full,' she wrote on her blog.
Emily (second from left) took part in Race for Life to raise money for cancer research
Determined: Emily (second from left) took part in Race for Life to raise money for cancer research

No comments:

Post a Comment