Monday, July 25, 2011

Vet to compete in wheelchair games

July 25, 2011

Vet to compete in wheelchair games

PARKER COUNTY — When Jerry Kershman lost most of his right leg six years ago, he refused to let it be a burden.

Just the opposite, in fact. Kershman took the opportunity to turn his life around, giving up drinking and other bad habits to move forward in life.

“If anything, it has changed the quality of my life,” Kershman said. “Some of the things I used to take for granted, I don’t anymore.

“When you lose a limb, it’s like you’ve got limited mobility physically but it doesn’t affect you mentally. I don’t consider myself disabled, it’s more like physically challenged.”

Kershman, an amputee and Army veteran, will take his positive attitude to Pittsburgh, Pa., Aug. 1 to compete in the Nationals Veterans Wheelchair Games.

As the largest annual wheelchair sports competition in the world, the wheelchair games offers 17 different sports, including rifle shooting, bowling, archery, swimming, 8-ball pool, track and field, wheelchair basketball, hand cycling, soccer, rugby, table tennis, weight lifting and softball.

Kershman will compete in the air rifle shooting competition as a novice, along with about 40 other veterans.

“He picked it up very quickly,” said Donna Gerron, a recreational therapist for the Fort Worth Outpatient Clinic and a coach for the wheelchair games. “He hit nine of 12 bull’s eyes in his first rifle practice.”

The targets are measured at 33 feet away, roughly 10 meters.

Kershman, along with his friend Modesto Surillo of Azle, another first-time competitor, practices every Thursday at the Joint Reserve Base in Fort Worth. He starts off at the indoor shooting range, then moves on to the bowling alley for bowling and 8-ball practice.

Kershman might have an advantage over some in the rifle competition, having attended sniper school at Fort Rucker, Ala. in the early ‘70s, and served overseas in Germany.

“I hadn’t shot a rifle since then, so it’s been close to 30 years,” Kershman said. “But when I picked it up and found the rifle sight, I went back to that time.”

Kershman met his coach, Gerron, during rehab, and was introduced to the concept of the national competition.

“She invited me to try out and it sounded like fun, as much as I just sit around the house,” he said. “More than anything, I’m hoping to gain camaraderie with other veterans, and as they say in American Idol, ‘I’m going for the win!’”

In an effort to get veterans more involved with the event, the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs, which puts on the competition, will typically grant first-time participants free travel and entry fees.

Kershman will have this year taken care of, but is already looking ahead toward competing again next year.

“When I get back, I’m going to start on fundraising as soon as I can,” he said. “A lot of veterans that are disabled just want to sit there and vegetate, but this is something that allows you to get out there and do something.”

Starting out as a Boy Scout, Kershman credits that and his Army experience, for allowing him to become the man he is today.

“I’m glad to serve what I did and I’m so grateful to be a vet,” he said. “Boy Scouts started me out and the service put the finishing coat on.

“I’m proud of my country and the people in it.”


www.frontlinemobility.com

https://frontlinemobility.sharefile.com/f/foffab85-4565-4833-a2b3-81f1d55f51d8

No comments:

Post a Comment